Spinnerbaits, Old Lure New Techniques by Mike Iaconelli
Courtesy of Bass University
Spinnerbaits (wire baits)
- A very old lure. Gained popularity in the 80’s
- Was called an idiot bait. Cast out and reel in!
- Jimmy Houston, Roland Martin, Hank Parker
- Great lure for a lot of reasons:
- Perfect Imitator Of Bait
Picking A Spinnerbait (Blades)
- Things to consider
- Water clarity – vibration or flash? The general rule is: the clearer the water the more you want flash; the dirtier the water the more you want vibration. Tandem configuration is the most versitile
- Water tempatures – cold, mid, hot. The general rule is the colder the water the more you want vibration and the warmer the water the more you want flash. Tandem configuration is the most versitile.
- Type of cover – little or no cover and grass I like willows better. Hard cover like wood, trees, brush I generally like Indiana Better
- Forage – match the hatch. Match blade size, shape and color to forage.
- Water depth – mainly I’m thinking about weight of the lure.
Ike’s Custom Colors
- Pummel Fish – Low light conditions or at night
- Boogolu Dace – my best all around bait fish imitator
- Mud Vein – dirty, muddy water color
- Neon Charmer – shock color, (perch or panfish), and also good for dirtier water.
- Purple Sinsay – Bait Imitator (purple sheen) cloudy days
- Steady – great for active fish and stained water
- Burn – Great for clear water
- Slow Roll – great for cold or dirty water
- Jerk – great when the bass are inactive (REACTION)
- Feather – keep the bait in the strike zone longer and looks like the real movements of forage.
- No matter what technique you choose, always try and make your spinnerbait change direction. You can do this by:
- Hitting/deflecting off of cover
- Using the Rod and Reel
- Using Your Body
- Add On – trailer hook and or soft plastic trailers
- Rod – 6’6” to 7’4”. But the 7’ M is my favorite (70/30). Slight DELAY needed!
- Reel – Ratio depends on the technique. 6.4:1 to 7.9:1, but 7.0 is my favorite.
- Line – 75% of the time straight flora (12-20 with 15 being my favorite). 25% of the time braid or mono (40 or 50 pound braid or 14-20 mono).